Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Samson and Delilah

Yesterday for our Field Trip we ventured into the Shephelah region of Israel. It was a full day field trip, so I was pretty exhausted by the end of the day. Not to mention that the scorching hot sun was blazing down on us all day (seriously it may have been the most intense heat I have ever experienced in my life), AND we were fully clothed. Nonetheless, it was a great day! We went to five different sites, including the place where David defeated Goliath and where Samson met/"fell in love" with Delilah. Some of the kids in our class acted out the story of David and Goliath, and we all got to practice using a sling shot afterwards, so that was fun. However I think my favorite story of the day was that of Samson and Delilah. I honestly did not know much about their story before yesterday, besides the fact that Samson was not supposed to cut his hair because that was the source of his strength. I am not going to tell the whole story, as I am sure most of you already know it. But I do want to share what Dr. Huntsman said regarding how it applies to us. He said that just like Samson, sometimes we can become "blinded" by people. He was applying this directly to dating relationships and falling in love and such, but I think it applies to all relationships. Anywho, he essentially said that sometimes we idealize people in our minds, and fail to see red flags that may be popping up everywhere. I thought this was super interesting, and is something that I am always going to remember. We are shaped so much by the people who we associate with, so it is important to surround yourself with good people as well as be a good person yourself so that we can make it easier on ourselves to be able to always choose the right and do what the Lord asks us to! That is it for my little tangent. It was very poorly expressed, and there was much more to it than that, but at the time it really did strike me. Regardless, here are a few pictures from our trip in no particular order.

Nate and I trying to be the same height

In a cave where they raised pigeons for sacrfices and such

Behind us is the Valley of Elah where David fought Goliath





No comments:

Post a Comment